Sunday 11 March 2012

Things I loved about my bike ride today........

 This is a list of all of the things that made me smile today as I went on my first "official" bike ride of my triathlon career. I list the things in order of how much they made me smile. It is actually quite interesting that the final "smile" order is not the same list that I had mentally prepared while I was getting ready to set off this morning.

1. The sun was shining and the sky was blue
2. I customised some gloves to wear - they didn't have any small enough in the shop when I bought my bike and my hands were frozen last week during my short cycling lesson so I knew I needed something to keep my hands warm....

Beautiful aren't they... But they worked!

3. I didn't have to get off and push up the hill from my house to get to the main part of the route
4. Watching a buzzard circling and soaring on thermals while I stopped for a quick drink of water - the patterns on the underside of it's wings were amazing.
5. I can now use more than 3 gears on a bike
6. On two occasions passing cyclists smiled and said hi
7. A polite motorist reversing off his drive waiting for me to pass and returning my wave as I thanked him
8. Being able to let go of the handlebar to wave to the aforementioned motorist!
9. Thinking how pleased I am that I have raised £95 sponsorship so far and thinking that ovarian cancer is a great cause.
10. Deciding my next triathlon will be to raise money for Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns Disease - think that means yes to all those people who have been wondering if I will ever do another one!
11. Realising that at 52 I still go beetroot red at the least bit of excercise, I guess I'm not going to grow out of that - so I am resigned to the fact that I will not look elegant at the end of the Derby Tri
12. I came home grinning like an idiot
13. Knowing I can cycle 6 miles and still have the energy to go for a brisk 3 mile walk with my hubby when I got home - my first brick session!!
13. I love my new bike.


Then a quick list of things that made me smile after the bike ride..........
1. The promise of a bike ride with Jessica ( see comment on blog entry "I didn't fall off") when she visits us - I have to agree that we will not be able to keep up with you know who!
2. Looking forward to trying to keep up with you know who when he is home from uni for the Easter break.
3. Wondering if I will be too stiff to get out of bed for work tomorrow!!



2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm glad you had such a good ride, it sounds beautiful and peaceful - I can't wait to get riding, too!
    I'm in the middle of working out how to book my bike onto trains - so I can fulfill my promise! (Incidentally, it's free with most train companies, although you're supposed to reserve a place, which involves ringing up.)
    Lots of love to you both! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of the encouragement Jessica, it's great to know you're supporting me, looking forward to our cycling together.
      Good luck with the bike/train thing - I did see them refuse to let a guy on the train 'cos he hadn't booked his bike on - and he had paid for a first class rail ticket for himeself! Motto is definately book for the bike too!!

      Delete